Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Inspirational women's cancers research

I went to a Dana-Farber Women's Cancers fundraiser this morning. Learning about the variety of research projects focusing on breast and ovarian cancer really energized me.

I was thrilled to discover that Dr. David Frank is now spending part of his time on ovarian cancer research.

Dr. Frank has been a hero to my family for many years. He took care of my Grammie Lavidor for long time and also helped my Bobie Berman through her too brief battle with colon cancer. He is such a kind man.

I was also able to catch up with Dr. Matulonis, who took care of my mom. I really miss talking to her! I know it sounds a little bizarre, but when my mom was a healthy patient we both really enjoyed hanging out with her.

Dr. Matulonis is pushing so hard on ovarian cancer research and treatments. I feel like the public's general awareness of ovarian cancer - and treatment options - has grown leaps and bounds in the nearly four years since my mom died.

Knowing that Dr. Matulonis, Dr. Frank and so many others are on the case to finding a cure is comforting.